For existing patients with poor vision or visual field loss we suggest discussing with our Orthoptist, Kate Colless, who specialises in this area, what assistance might be available in the community. Kate is an Orthoptist who has developed a special interest in the area of low vision. She is dedicated to providing excellence in patient care.
Common reasons for low vision are: macular degeneration, diabetes and glaucoma. The visual loss associated with these conditions means it is not possible to correct the vision loss with stronger spectacles.
At your appointment with Dr Black, our Orthoptist Kate will assess you initially. At this time Kate is able to provide assistance in :
- information regarding your eye condition
- introducing you to social and support groups within the local area.
- assessing eligibility for services in the community, such as Taxi Subsidy and talking books scheme.
- suggesting strategies for coping with visual loss in the home environment.
- referrals to Vision Australia, the Guide Dog Association and other health professionals as required.
- discussing visual aides and magnifiers to make the best use of the remaining vision.
More assistance may be found at: